iPhone 12 mini Bugs!

 

I just upgraded to the new iPhone 12 mini, and even though I was initially impressed, I quickly ran into some bugs, a few of which are pretty serious. Many of them relate to the phone not recognizing button presses from the lock screen, so hopefully these all have the same root cause.

  • Unable to answer phone calls! Kind of important for a phone to be able to answer incoming calls. My phone was locked at the time, and when presented with the "Swipe to answer" control, the phone did not react to my attempts to swipe to answer the call.
  • Buttons on Pin Screen are unresponsive. When you reboot your phone, you're required to enter your pin, even if you have Face ID enabled. Well, the pin number buttons are unresponsive, often requiring several presses to register...if at all. I had to hard reboot my phone a couple of times to get it to the point where it was, at the most, semi-responsive.
  • Buttons on the Lock Screen are unresponsive. This is probably the same issue as mentioned above. From the lock screen, the flashlight and camera buttons rarely register presses. The issue is not my screen protector, as the same areas of the screen function perfectly when the phone is unlocked.
  • Can't hang up phone call. When making a phone call, the button to end the call is unresponsive. Sometimes it works after multiple presses, other times you just need to wait for the other person to hang up first.
  • The camera shutter sound effect when taking pictures using "Portrait" style ignores the volume setting and plays very loud. When taking pictures the "Portrait" style, the camera shutter sound effect will play very LOUDLY regardless of how high or low the volume is currently set. Setting the camera style to a different style and taking another picture does not produce the same loud sound effect.
It's understandable for some bugs to slip by and make it into production, but some of these are serious (I can't answer my phone???) and I can't believe they weren't caught earlier. Hopefully, Apple will resolve these and release a fix soon.

Update:
A few days after posting this, I chatted with Apple support, and the support rep had not heard of the problems I was having. He scheduled an appointment for someone to call me later that night. They sent me an email confirmation of the scheduled call.

Nobody ever called. And I didn't receive any sort of apology or acknowledgement of that. Just...no call. Nothing.

A few days later, Apple finally released iOS 14.2.1, which corrected the lock screen problems. Of the problems I listed above, only the "shutter sound" problem remains. However, to the best of my knowledge, Apple never acknowledged these problems anywhere other than in the release notes to iOS 14.2.1. Some sort of announcement letting their customers know they were aware of the problem and working on it would have been nice. Instead, customers had dysfunctional phones for a week, wondering what was going on.


Comments

Popular Posts

Resolving the "n timer(s) still in the queue" Error In Angular Unit Tests

How to Get Norton Security Suite Firewall to Allow Remote Desktop Connections in Windows

Silent Renew and the "login_required" Error When Using oidc-client

Fixing the "Please add a @Pipe/@Directive/@Component annotation" Error In An Angular App After Upgrading to webpack 4

How to Determine if a Column Exists in a DataReader