Fixing the "Please add a @Pipe/@Directive/@Component annotation" Error In An Angular App After Upgrading to webpack 4

I'm currently in the process of upgrading an Angular application which does not use the Angular CLI from webpack 2 to webpack 4. The incremental upgrade from webpack 2 to 3 was easy, but once I made the jump from 3 to 4, I encountered a lot of problems. I went through them one by one, but the one that had me stumped was the following:

Unhandled Promise rejection: Unexpected value 'MakePositivePipe' declared by the module 'SharedModule'. Please add a @Pipe/@Directive/@Component annotation. ; Zone: <root> ; Task: null ; Value: Error: Unexpected value 'MakePositivePipe' declared by the module 'SharedModule'. Please add a @Pipe/@Directive/@Component annotation.

The code was transpiling/compiling fine, but this error was occurring when I'd navigate to a page containing this pipe. This code has worked fine under webpack 2 and 3. I made sure that the pipe was being set up as a declaration, which it was. What finally corrected the issue for me was this: the developer(s) who had created this pipe had also created several more all within the same file, and once I split them apart into separate files, the issue was resolved.

On one hand, I find it concerning that this code compiled fine under the earlier versions of webpack. On the other hand, I think it's a bad practice to declare multiple pipes, components, or services within the same file. Regardless, at the end of the day, regression testing will be especially important for this upgrade.

Comments

Popular Posts

Resolving the "n timer(s) still in the queue" Error In Angular Unit Tests

Silent Renew and the "login_required" Error When Using oidc-client

How to Get Norton Security Suite Firewall to Allow Remote Desktop Connections in Windows

How to Determine if a Column Exists in a DataReader