Refried Bean Tacos Sort-Of Recipe

 

Okay, so this barely qualifies as a recipe -- it's just one notch above "How to Make a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich" -- but because I use specific ingredients, and my preparation of the beans is different than what's on the product label, it might just barely qualify as a recipe.

This sort-of recipe makes between 8 and 12 tacos, depending on how much refried beans you fill the tacos with. I usually make 8, with just a touch of the beans left over.

This is my first recipe, "sort-of" as it may be.

Let's begin!

First, the ingredients:

Instructions:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Place taco shells on cookie sheet and place in the oven when done pre-heating. Cook for 5 minutes.
  3. Measure 15 ounces of water and pour into a pot and cover. This amount of water differs from the 2 1/4 cups indicated on the bean packaging.
  4. Bring water to a boil, then stir in the refried beans and simmer for 5 minutes.
  5. Fill the taco shells with the refried beans (if the shells are still hot, give them a minute) and add the nutritional yeast, hot sauce, and any other toppings you like.
A few notes:
  • I was a little skeptical of the nutritional yeast myself. This is something my wife told me about and purchased. I like cheese, but it's also pretty high in saturated fat. I decided to try nutritional yeast for my tacos instead, and was surprised how much I liked it. I now actually prefer it to the cheddar cheese I had been using, and it's a lot better for you.
  • Heating times vary, but for my oven and stove, I've found that if I start the heat on my water, setting it between medium and high, once my oven temperature reaches 300 degrees, then my water is ready for the beans shortly before the oven is done, giving me time to let the taco shells cool a bit before the beans are finished cooking. When I do this -- preheat the oven, then start boiling the water when the over reaches 300 -- I find that I can finish this meal from prep to completed cooking in about 15 minutes.


Comments

Popular Posts

Resolving the "n timer(s) still in the queue" Error In Angular Unit Tests

How to Get Norton Security Suite Firewall to Allow Remote Desktop Connections in Windows

Silent Renew and the "login_required" Error When Using oidc-client

Fixing the "Please add a @Pipe/@Directive/@Component annotation" Error In An Angular App After Upgrading to webpack 4

How to Determine if a Column Exists in a DataReader