Resolving the "request canceled while waiting for connection" Error in Docker for Windows

I'm currently learning how to use containers with Docker for Windows, but ran into a brick wall pretty early after installing it and trying to run the sample hello-world image. After executing docker run hello-world, I got the following response:

Error response from daemon: Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: net/http: request canceled while waiting for connection (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers).

In an attempt to resolve this, I created a Docker ID, confirmed my email address to activate it, then restarted Docker and opened a new Powershell prompt, but got the same result. My first thought was that this was a firewall issue, but when I checked my firewall configuration I found that Docker was already setup correctly for internet access.

After some Googling, it turned out my issue was much simpler. All I needed to do was switch Docker to use Windows containers instead of Linux containers (Linux containers are the default for Docker for Windows). You can do this by right-clicking on Docker in the task tray and selecting Switch to Windows containers... . After doing this, I restarted Docker and opened a new Powershell prompt for good measure, and it worked. I hope this helps you if you're having the same problem.

Comments

Popular Posts

Resolving the "n timer(s) still in the queue" Error In Angular Unit Tests

Silent Renew and the "login_required" Error When Using oidc-client

How to Get Norton Security Suite Firewall to Allow Remote Desktop Connections in Windows

Fixing the "Please add a @Pipe/@Directive/@Component annotation" Error In An Angular App After Upgrading to webpack 4

How to Determine if a Column Exists in a DataReader