Retro Review: The Mummy's Tomb

Synopsis
30 years after the events of the previous film, Steve Banning is telling his house guests about the undead mummy he and Babe Jensen (now named Babe Hanson for some reason) battled in Egypt all those years ago. But unbeknownst to any of them, the villains from the previous film survived and have waited 30 years (again, for some reason) to plot their revenge.

Review
Now we're talkin'. I found the original 1932 The Mummy to be tedious (and lacking in much mummy, ironically), and found the sequel, 1940s The Mummy's Hand to be an improvement, but still...lacking much of the mummy. However, this time around he gets plenty of screen time and the plot moves at a quicker pace.

I found the timing to be too coincidental: Steve is telling his guests about the mummy, and miles away in Egypt, the plot for revenge is being hatched. What timing. And yes, that's the part I find unbelievable, and not that an ancient mummy walks the earth! But I digress.

The film takes some interesting approaches that I wouldn't have expected. The setting alone -- 30 years after the previous film -- was something that surprised me. (By the way, if the previous film took place in the year of its release -- 1940 -- that places this film in 1970. A 1970 that looks surprisingly 1940s-ish. But again, I digress.) There were events in the film that I never saw coming and was very surprised by. I found it to be creative, despite its flaws. But it was fun, and actually had (go figure) a significant amount of mummy.

From what I've read, this one doesn't have a very good critical opinion, but I liked it nonetheless.

Comments

Popular Posts

Resolving the "n timer(s) still in the queue" Error In Angular Unit Tests

Silent Renew and the "login_required" Error When Using oidc-client

How to Get Norton Security Suite Firewall to Allow Remote Desktop Connections in Windows

Fixing the "Please add a @Pipe/@Directive/@Component annotation" Error In An Angular App After Upgrading to webpack 4

How to Determine if a Column Exists in a DataReader